Car accidents can really shake you up, and while many people assume that they know what to do, there are a few things that you can do immediately following an accident that can greatly alter the outcome of a personal injury case. If you have been involved in an accident, Avant Law Corporation recommends following these simple steps:
- Make sure everyone is alright. Move to the side of the road if possible and make sure that it is safe to exit the vehicle. Check to see that you, your passengers, and the passengers of the other vehicle(s) are alright. Try not to move anyone who is injured.
- Contact emergency services. Involving law enforcement and emergency personnel is always a good idea. Even if you are only just a bit shook up, being examined by a medical professional can greatly benefit you and your case. You may not be aware of the full extent of your injuries. Always try and get a police report taken of the incident!
- Gather as much information as possible. Speak with witnesses and gather information from the driver(s). Insurance information, driver’s license numbers, and even license plate numbers of vehicles involved are necessary information to have.
- Take pictures with your phone. Almost everyone has a smartphone, and these devices can greatly benefit your case. If you can do so safely, take pictures of everything at the scene and document the time of the incident. Pictures are vital!
- Be careful what you say. Although it may seem like a good idea, do not offer apologies just yet. Saying something as simple as, “I’m sorry,” or “I wasn’t looking,” can put the blame on you, even if it wasn’t your fault.
Contact a personal injury attorney in San Diego or Orange County!
One of the best things that you can do for yourself after an accident is to contact an attorney. Working with a dedicated legal professional can give you the edge in your case. Dealing with insurance companies, medical bills, and vehicle repair costs on your own can be overwhelming, but with the guidance of our firm’s lawyer, you can be confident that your case is moving in the right direction. If you have been in an accident, do not hesitate to retain the representation of Michael Kim, Esq. Our experienced Southern California personal injury lawyers can quickly and aggressively work to settle your case and ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve. Contact our firm today to get started!